Breast implant removal is a surgical procedure sought by individuals with various cosmetic, personal, or lifestyle concerns.
This procedure involves the extraction of previously inserted breast implants and allows patients to regain their natural breast appearance, change their choice of implant, or resolve complications and health-related breast implant issues.Schedule Your Consultation Today
Benefits of Breast Implant Removal
There are as many benefits to breast implant removal as there are reasons to do so. Some of these include:
To Increase or Decrease Breast Implant Size
Breast augmentation has long been the most popular cosmetic surgery and has only been overtaken in 2023, when liposuction took the top spot. Often, a common reason a woman chose to have implants removed was to opt for a different size, either large or smaller.
While breast augmentation continues to boast a high satisfaction rate, it’s becoming more and more popular for women to decrease the volume of their breasts. Some women seek to regain their natural breast size and shape for a more modest look as their body preferences change.
If breast implants have been in place for some time, a breast lift may be necessary to address sagging and create the desired upper body contours.
To Address Concerns about the Age or Condition of Breast Implants
Breast implants are long-lasting, with an average longevity of ten or more years, which is about how long most implant warranties are valid. However, breast implants can last even longer, but there is no guarantee that they will keep looking the way a woman wants. This often depends on lifestyle, physical activity, weight fluctuations, and the effects of pregnancy, meaning they may need to be removed or replaced sooner.
To Relieve Discomfort
Women may experience physical discomfort due to implants that are too large. Removing breast implants and replacing them with smaller implants or undergoing a breast lift can alleviate pain while maintaining a youthful and pleasing breast shape
To Align With a New Lifestyle Choice
Personal, professional, or lifestyle changes often prompt the decision to remove breast implants, as the shape of a woman’s chest can significantly impact her self-image, as well as the perception others have of them.
To Address Health Concerns and Complications
Health concerns are less likely to be a cause for breast implant removal, but complications can occur, necessitating breast revision surgery, which includes removal and sometimes replacement.
Customized Cosmetic Breast Surgery Results
Another benefit of breast implant removal is the ability of Dr.Taylor to customize results. During your consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon, he will discuss your concerns, evaluate your medical history, conduct a physical examination, and create a personalized treatment plan to meet your unique needs.
What Does Breast Implant Removal Involve?
Based on your tailored surgical plan, Dr. Taylor may remove or replace the implants with new implants to help you achieve your body contouring goals.
- Breast Implant Removal Surgery
- The procedure typically involves an incision being made around the areola, under the breast, or through the scar caused by the initial breast augmentation incision.
- Dr. Taylor carefully removes the implants and may perform additional procedures, such as a breast lift or fat transfer, to optimize the breast appearance.
- Breast Implant Placement
- If a new breast implant is desired, he will then place the implant above or below the chest muscle, which may differ from the original approach.
- Closing the Incisions
- After removing the implants and performing any additional procedures, the incisions are carefully closed with sutures, skin adhesives, or surgical tape.
Recovery from Breast Implant Removal Surgery
If you choose to have your breast implants removed, you will be monitored in a recovery area after surgery before being discharged. You can expect the following:
- Postoperative care instructions will be provided, including directions for wound care and taking any prescribed medications, how to avoid complications, and when your follow-up appointments will occur.
- Swelling, bruising, and mild discomfort are common but will diminish over the next two to three weeks.
Breast Implant Removal Surgery Results
- The outcome of breast implant removal may vary based on individual factors. The breasts will reflect a more natural appearance following recovery or may be a different size if new implants are placed.
- Residual changes such as skin laxity or changes in breast shape due to implant removal may gradually improve over time, but a breast lift can prevent any of these issues.
Customization and Procedures that Can Be Combined
- Breast Lift: If necessary, a breast lift can be combined with implant removal to address sagging or changes in breast shape.
- Fat Transfer: Some individuals may opt for fat grafting rather than receiving new implants to restore lost volume after removal.
- Body contouring with liposuction or a tummy tuck: Many women take the opportunity to address other body issues, such as loose abdominal skin or stubborn pockets of fat. This is often referred to as a Mommy Makeover.
Will There Be Scars After My Breast Implant Removal?
Scarring is typical after surgery, but scars caused by cosmetic breast surgery tend to fade nicely over time and blend in with the surrounding skin. Our surgeon works hard to minimize visible scarring.
How Much Does Breast Implant Removal Cost?
The cost of breast implant removal in Pasadena, California, varies widely depending on your desired outcome and whether you intend to combine this surgery with new implants, a breast lift, or other body contouring procedures.
How Painful is Breast Implant Removal?
You can expect some level of discomfort following this surgery. Pain can be well-managed with prescription medication and cold compresses to minimize swelling and bruising. Wearing your surgical bra or compression garment also aids in the healing process.
Breast Implant Removal FAQ
Who are the best candidates for Breast Implant Removal?
Healthy individuals who are at or near their ideal weight and don’t smoke with concerns about their existing breast implants make the best candidates for this surgery.
How long is the recovery period?
Recovery times vary, but most patients can resume normal activities within a few weeks, depending on the extent of the surgery.
Will I need a replacement after removing breast implants?
Replacement with new implants is not always necessary. The decision depends on your personal preferences and goals.
Are the results from breast implant removal permanent?
If you choose not to receive new implants, your results can be considered permanent. However, aging and weight fluctuations will impact your results.
Will I have to stay overnight after breast implant removal?
No. Breast implant removal is an outpatient surgical procedure.
What are the risks and complications associated with implant removal surgery?
The risks of breast implant removal surgery may include bleeding, infection, and other common surgical complications, as well as loose breast skin if a breast lift is not performed or new implants are not placed.